Update! How am I going? Only about eight full days of my Westpac life left. Am I allowed to say that? It's a secret okay?
Well this is an easy way to tell everyone without having to meet up with you each individually to tell you that I am okay, just okay but okay. I still want to hang out with you, I just don't want to have to chat about how I am doing over and over again. It's boring even for me and more than that, it is depressing as shit for all of us. I don't want to be depressed and I can only suppose you don't either. (Sean thinks I like being sad but it's not true.)
How would you feel if you had decided to change tact entirely in the realisation that you want to do something else and that that something else, you aren't even sure you are going to be good at, and acknowledge that you've just wasted a whole lot of time and energy in that process? like about seven and a half years? The HR psychologist that I am seeing keeps telling me that my time hasn't been wasted and I suppose this is true to an extent. To an extent, being a finance person, I've also been taught the TIME VALUE of MONEY and that is what I've wasted.
Well the thing is, I don't even know what that something else is yet. I just know that I don't want to be working in a bank at the age of 35 or 45. I want a more dynamic and energetic workplace. My friends from high school always said it was odd that I ended up at a bank. I didn't really think twice about it.
The thing is, I really liked my work most days. It was sufficiently challenging. The people were mostly nice too. And well, there were nice perks like being taken to the theatre, concerts, expensive restaurants and really just, wined and dined very well by the lawyers and bankers we dealt with. I guess I will leave knowing that I've tried it and that it was great while I was there but that I won't miss it. I'd much prefer doing those things with my friends and not having to talk about the challenging wholesale debt funding markets and new capital issues and hybrid structures with bankers and lawyers. I did find those subjects interesting though.
If you have read this blog from bottom up, you will see that at the beginning I was counting the number of days since the day I was told the news. I got up to about day ten or so before I got bored. Now I am going back the other way. There is an end in sight. I want to organise drinks to say bye properly to people here but I can't because it is supposed to be hush hush. I get the feeling that it is more awkward for the people around me. I'm not awkward so why should they be?
On a more fun note, why has no one told me about this band called Late of the Pier? Have I been hiding under a rock? people? this is not right. I thought I was reading enough mags and street press and websites not to be left in the lurch like this... not good enough. Catchy, pop and well just attractive music, don't you think?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PYcl5drPDI&feature=channel
I'm meeting up with Karen from high school tonight for dinner. It's currently raining A LOT. I think I left my window at home open. Everything is going to be wet and damp. I am not sad about that though, I'm just stating that as a fact.
x
No comments:
Post a Comment