Thursday, May 28, 2009

What actually is stalking on the internet?

Before the internet came along, you'd ask your friends whether they knew the said person and what they had heard about them with the emphasis of the conversation on finding out what type of human being they were: normal or serial killer.

With the arrival of the world wide web, you get to do that online and look through what they've contributed to the online community. It's a vast place and if they have a common name, it can be difficult. You can find out important information such as whether they are posting comments on porn sites using a pseudonym, which by now you have figured out, or whether they are really into music or the arts, listed as a high achiever on the Board of Studies site from way back in 1999 and what they have most recently tweeted on Twitter or what their LinkedIn profile says.

Does this really mean I'm an internet stalker? I mean I'm simply collecting as much information as I can on this person, as one would have done before the arrival of the internet, with the intention of making sure that this new person I have met is not going to pull out a knife unexpectedly. At least I would know it was a possibility if I had done my research and it wouldn't be as much of a surprise. Maybe I could carry pepper spray if I was really into placing myself in high risk, 'exciting' situations.

Well I need to have a shower. I did some fitness test this morning at the gym and the trainer was very unenthusiastic. She couldn't really speak English very well (she's Hungarian) which didn't help but she looked the part and was pretty so I suppose in the books of the Kings Cross fitness first that is a big tick.

*must wear suit to work today for fear of having my head chopped again*

No comments: