Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Edinburgh

Dear web readers. I'm writing this now because I probably won't remember the finer details if I leave it for any longer.

On Thursday I booked a train ticket to go to Edinburgh. I figured heading up there on Sunday morning would mean I could still go out for a few drinks on the weekend. The so-called few drinks didn't end up finishing till about ten o'clock on Sunday morning and so with that, I missed whatever train I had initially thought I'd hop on. Anyway, I eventually get my shit together around four on Sunday afternoon.

At some point I recall a large gym ball bring kicked down the street and the shops re-opening... I remember swapping beds with Johnny who passed out in my bed. I remember a "Sarah" who is going to 2ManyDJs at the Brixton Academy the week after next and a Simon who has a girlfriend who thinks/thought he was going out for a few quiet beers... liar. And I remember Simon and I, freaking out over Keegan pretending to drop the special black dinner plate... and it's special ingredients spread out on top.

Rewind. Saturday night - with go fine-dining French style in Angel/Islington. We use the Overground train system. It reminds me of Sydney's useless public transport network. Dinner is delicious and the company in Chris and Christine and Pam is SUPER! (love to you all!) I ordered some aubergine dish which was top notch. We share a bottle of champayne. We go to a sweet little cocktail bar. I get a bellini first up and then a tequila cocktail of some other name that I won't ever remember. It is pissing down with rain. This is why they drink so much I figure. I'm in London - I had nearly forgotten with all the non-rainy days I've had while I've been here.

I'm trying to get from Covent Garden to the O2 Centre which is in the wasteland that is Canary Wharf. I hitch a ride in a taxi with some people who look "friendly". My mum would tell me that this is dangerous. It turns out that they are actually coming to check out Pam and Max's new abode the following day. This is a scary coincidence. So Sunday morning, a mere twleve hours later, they arrive and I see them again. Hungover and feeling very below par. They are from Paddington in Sydney. Weird. Small freaky world, I say.

I get to Kings Cross and I am wondering to myself why on earth there are SO MANY people here. Some guy has decide he's had enough of life, and jumped onto the tracks. He successfully killed himself. All the trains to the North East are now delayed by at least 2 hours. My head is in serious pain. My stomach wants to do bad things to me. In  short, the train I eventually get on at 8pm, is packed. It's like the tube at 5pm, except that this train ride goes for four hours! I get to Edinburgh after midnight and rock up at the hotel that I've booked even later than that. They are not impressed. Not least by the fact that I've actually and ACCIDENTALLY, booked for NEXT week. Fail. Anyway, this hotel is awesome. I can't recommend it enough. It is a bit out of the way but worth it!

Anyway, Monday rolls in. I'm feeling much better now. I walk up to Edinburgh castle and it is a clear blue sky-ed day. It's really pretty. I realise that I've forgotten my CAMERA! FUCK. So I decide it is back down the hill to Boots to get a disposable one. The photos are snappy. I feel a bit more "free" without my huge photography machine.  I like it here. Lots of neat indie art shops and indie-looking people here. Brown corduroy and army jackets a-plenty.

I got lost on the bus yesterday. Getting on buses at night and not knowing quite where you are going isn't a great strategy. I'll remember this for next time. Heading back to London tonight. Let's hope it is straight forward and complication free.

LOVE, Ella xxx

No comments: