Sunday, August 16, 2009
Selective Disclosure
One of the interesting things about social networking websites like Facebook and Twitter and blogging is that it is selective disclosure. Few people update their status with anything but happy ramblings about their life and only upload photos of themselves surrounded by friends or in interesting locations. I'm tempted to update my status with "I've had a shit day and feel like breaking your leg" or maybe I can try "I hate my best friend". It's selective disclosure and I've recently decided that upon entering my password into Facebook, I leave feeling a bit less happy than before logging on. More and more, I feel like it isn't adding to my life at all. I'm sure hundreds before me have written this exact same thing. I'm simply adding to this increasing wave of resentment towards Facebook. I do like Facebook for a few things though. Art and club events and also status updates of friends who are overseas and who I cannot keep in constant contact with, so all is not lost. And really, maybe it is just more evident on these websites because clearly, we all selectively disclose information about ourselves all the time.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment