Sunday, August 9, 2009

The Pill

Short version
I think the Microgynon 30 pill I've started taking is making me depressed.

Long version
Back in year ten or eleven, as a pimple-ful teenager, I was put onto the pill to help my acne situation. It worked and my breasts got bigger (probably a combination of the pill and growing up - looking back I think they were actually swollen). I haven't stopped taking the pill since except on the odd occasion when I've forgotten.

It's now about eight years later. I had suspected that it might be messing with my libido. When I was still with the ex, I refused to go off it for fear of babies and bad skin. So I went off Diane (it's a contraceptive pill prescribed frequently to remedy acne) in about March or April this year.

I figured I'd like to save some money (see below for my current employment status) and also since I'm single for the first time in a while, it would be good to see what my body would do if I was off this daily dose of hormones. So I went off it for about 3 months. I didn't get my period. I went to see the doctor to find out that I'm also not pregnant. Apparently my body was just "re-adjusting". Okay, so I could deal with that. Then about two months later, I'm getting really bad break outs on my skin which I can't really handle. At this point, I'm starting to remember those mornings during high school... staring into the mirror.

That's when I decided to head to the bulk billing medical surgery again and request a new pill. Anyway, the doc recommended Microgynon 30. I've been on it for about a month now and am feeling increasingly depressed. So I've delved into the world of forums and bulletin boards in the search of some sense in all of this.

And yep, apparently, this one is quite well known for sending people into depression. Thanks doc. So in short, everyone stay away from me until next month when I will go off it and will hopefully be regular again. Sure, I'll have pimples but hopefully I won't be as moody and won't be craving food like I am now. The end.

No comments: