Dating someone who doesn't like something you think is really important to you
Well I have a little bit of experience in this. A while back now, I dated this guy for about a year (who I no longer speak to) who liked hip hop and RnB. He hated my "techno" music. I tried many times to explain that there were different types of electronic music and that there may be some types that he would enjoy. We somewhat agreed on some rock-pop music but that was about it. I should have figured out as much at the very beginning. He was convinced that all clubbers were drug users. I'm like, it's often true, but there are definitely a small number who don't.
The music played in the car was always a bit problematic. Going out clubbing at night was even more so. He didn't like me going out late. In the end when I stopped asking him to come out to play in night clubs with me, things started going pear shaped. There were already cracks I suppose. When your friends and theirs are an entirely different breed of human, that is a cause for disagreements too.
I've got friends who's boyfriends aren't into going to gigs at all - so a similar situation. The guy is a bit older and so he stays at home, reads a book and watches some DVDs then comes to pick us up at whatever hour and well, I score a lift out of it sometimes, and she gets home safely too. I've always thought it a little strange but I suppose making music the be all and end all is too superficial and limiting your options too much? I suppose I'm not going to be clubbing when I'm 40, am I? or am? haha.
I guess I'm just saying that having something you really enjoy, being something that your partner strongly dislikes is always going to make the relationship harder. Then I started seeing this guy about 3 years ago now who liked electronic music too. It did make life easier although he was into a more drum and bass, breaks, trance sound where I probably prefer house and a more minimal sound. This still made for arguments. When we went to Ibiza, there was one night when he wanted to see Sven Vath and I wanted to see 2ManyDJs. This was serious at the time and we had a big fight. Then there were some good experiences like when I went to a Pendulum gig at the Metro and had a blast and when he came along to a Trentemoller set down at Laundry and he was totally blown away. So moral of the story is well, if they are open about your scene or the music you're into, or whatever it is, there is a good chance life will be easier. But no matter what, you need to be sure about what YOU like, and stick to it. That's why they signed up to be your boyfriend or girlfriend in the first place.
If you aren't going to disagree about the scene you're into, or the sub-genre of dance music you're into, it will be something else - like whether you want Thai or pizza for dinner.
No comments:
Post a Comment