Thursday, September 10, 2009

Last day in Tokyo
















So it seems only right that on my last day in Tokyo (tomorrow we're headed for Kyoto) that I find some newish music and type away at this blog. As per usual, an instant fix is sought from Facebook, Gmail and Twitter.

Today, I'm listening to Tracy Thorn (from Everything but the Girl fame) on her Myspace. She's still great. She's got a voice that reminds me of Enya but it's not annoying and actually very relaxing.

Yes - Tokyo = "like".

The last ten days have flown by. I feel like I've eaten about 10 kilos of waistline. I've shopped as much as I could and without restraint. I was prepared. I brought with me a second suitcase.

I have been most impressed by the immense range of items the Japanese have. I went to look for a light for my bike today and was confronted with a whole wall of bike lights. We went to look for a diary for me a few days ago, and there were several shopping aisles of diaries for me to choose from. Who knew you could get so many different lengths and widths of two sided sticky tape?

Q. Could I live here?
A. Yes, but not forever. I like Sydney.

Q. How was the weather?
A. Humid and hot. Sunny most days, some days overcast and some days, a cool breeze. Between 23 to 29 degrees on average, I'd say.

Q. How did you find their train system?
A. I like maps. Challenging and fun. You'll be fine!

Q. Where did you stay?
A. Somewhere between Shibuya and Daikanyama (ask me) - was quite a good find! for the price and a convenient area too. We both said we'd stay here again. We paid about 140 Yen per night, so that 70 Yen each.

Q. What made your stay awesome?
A. Our local tour guide, Maiko Horita! She's an illustrator (and our friend!) when she's not taking us around and translating restaurant menus for us. Check out her website. Seriously, if you're nice enough, she might take you around too!

Q. Best meals?
A. Brown Rice in Omotesando, some gelato place in Kamakura, the Tuna foodbar in the food court-ish area (think a deluxe version of the David Jones food court on Market Street) in the bigger Tokyu in Shibuya and Yaffa Organic Cafe.

Q. Best purchase?
A. Alien bike light and hot Soulwax t-shirt. (And my camera before I came, does that count? because my photos are so much better because of it...)

Q. Were the people as friendly as everyone says?
A. I didn't notice it. It could be because I look Japanese?

Q. What's their TV situation like?
A. I've watched baseball, American Football (NFL) and lots and lots of game shows. They really like their game shows here and delight in embarrassing the contestants. They like making them eat weird things, for instance.

Q. What has been frustrating for me on this trip?
A. Not being about to read Japanese. I need content. I miss being able to consume and understand visual content. This has been the one downer for me, sadly - especially in a country where the culture is just so foreign to me. I wish learning a language wasn't so hard. Maybe they'll invent hearing devices that will translate spoken word for you, on the spot in the next few years AND make it affordable for the average joe.

Q. Any other weird things you've seen?
A. Today, we saw a smoking space. Imagine a space that looks like a mobile phone shop and with seats and tables like Burger King. It was in a spot, equivalent to where Hype shoes is on Pitt Street Mall. People go into that space, to sit down and smoke.

1 comment:

maiks said...

glad you enjoyed your stay, ella!!! and that I was helpful to you. ;)