Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Disney - check out the guy in the front row of our boat!























Today we went to Tokyo Disney. So I've not been to Mount Fuji but I have been to Disney. I'm not really this consumerist. I am just not assertive enough. The Disney characters don't much like taking photos with people who are taller than them. And well, the rides are definitely not as scary as I recall. So I'll leave out the whinging - it even bores me. What I did like/love about Disneyland this time was that we went to the one in Japan.

The Japanese are incredibly well behaved. When the daily parade rolled by, everyone was seated and there was no need to scramble for a good spot - everyone had a good spot! Kids don't cry. They play on their Nintendo DSs while waiting in line for a ride.

I'm interested in the Japanese psyche. As in, what (on earth) is going on upstairs?
- when you go to a cafe (a pretty one), inside there will be no men - nup, all women, as if it's a female cafe, like a girls school
- old people (like my parents age and older) line up outside pachinko parlours(?) waiting for them to open
- all(?) the trains stop at midnight and because taxis are too expensive, they get some shut eye in either an internet cafe, a capsule hotel (where you can buy a new shirt for the following morning) or at Borders (yes, the bookshop) because it's open around the clock
- you can buy yellow and green (as in BRIGHT yellow and green) lipstick here...
- teenage girls wear their school uniforms on the weekends 'for fun' because they think it's cute
- people don't cross the road when there is no traffic and the 'red don't walk man' is on
- the Japanese get dressed up to come to this Disneyland - girls AND BOYS purchase Mickey or Minnie ears and hats (there are a wide variety of Disney characters you can choose from) to wear throughout the day (no joke)

I've been eating a lot of figs while I've been in Japan.


As a general rule, the Japanese like to sleep on trains. This was 8:30 in the morning.

No comments: